You're probably slightly confused. Is it good or bad to take a cheeky nap during the day? Unfortunately, we live in a society that activity encourages getting more done, making more money and buying more stuff. It's undeniable that we're becoming more and more sleep deprived, our busy lifestyles keep us from napping. While napping comes with both upsides and downsides, we'll be taking a quick look at the benefits of napping in this story.
According to the National Sleep Foundation, napping can:
- Restore alertness, enhance performance, and reduce mistakes and accidents
- Increase alertness in the period directly following the nap
- Reduce stress and improve mental well-being
Napping can also:
- Improve learning and working memory
- Prevent burnout and reverse information overload
- Heighten your senses and creativity
- Improve overall physical health
Remember, if you take a nap too late in the day it might affect your night-time sleep pattern and make it difficult to fall asleep at your regular bedtime. It's also important to remember that if you try to take a nap too early in the day your body may not be ready for more sleep.
It's important to plan you nap wisely, find what works best for you and enjoy it.